Coolidge Corner

What do you all think of Coolidge corner? This is one of the areas we’ve been eyeing to open our first fixed location Clover restaurant. With all that is going on good spaces are starting to open. Prices haven’t dropped yet, but at least the spots are starting to come available. The other week Z-Square in Harvard went out of business. They also left a beautiful greenhouse spot in Post Office Square. Unfortunately, I’m not really looking to get into downtown yet, but it’s a really pretty spot.

One thing that’s sort of crazy I’ve been learning about these locations is that many landlords will require that the business owner personally sign the lease. I think that’s a little nuts personally. These leases are very long, and that’s a big scary thing to be personally liable for. In our case there wouldn’t be much to go after : ), but still…

8 Responses to Coolidge Corner

1. Vladimir 19 February, 2009 at 12:22 am #

Given that I live about two minutes away from this particular storefront, I would certainly vote for it with two hands.

2. west ender 19 February, 2009 at 12:51 pm #

come to the west end/north slope of beacon hill. there is a great spot on cambridge street bet w. cedar and grove, where the paris creperie used to be (spotted apron was there for a month and the venue has been vacant ever since).

this location is great because it across from MGH, near suffolk, and near the Charles MGH t stop. Also, lots of tourists will walk by during tourist season.

Whole foods up the street gets a ton of veg business. I bet you will too in this location.

3. Benjamin Mako Hill 20 February, 2009 at 1:07 am #

Coolidge corner seems to be very good for vegetarian food. There are a few other restaurants around the area. I think the fact that vegetarian food is, by default, kosher, makes it popular to at least one highly represented group in Brookline.

Selfishly, I’d prefer something in Cambridge (we only have veggie planet) but I’m not sure which one makes more sense from the business end of things.

4. nonny 12 March, 2009 at 10:20 am #

Yes please!! Especially if you’d have hours/specials for before/after movies at the Coolidge Corner Theater right down the block!

5. JPfromJP 14 March, 2009 at 1:29 pm #

coolidge would be great! and a good investment for clover. there are so many chains going in there the past couple years, and there aren’t any vegetarian restaurants. people know coolidge as a good place to go out to eat, and there’s tons of foot traffic. it would be great to have a new local restaurant. plus they have an awesome non-profit movie theatre and the best farmer’s market.

6. Adam 15 March, 2009 at 1:27 pm #

Coolidge Corner has a lot of foot traffic and could definitely use more places for quick simple bites! There’s a lot of restaurants around, but if you actually tally up the non-chain places that do quick in-and-out counter service for lunch, there’s surprisingly few.

Would you still have the truck at MIT? (I ask selfishly…) Actually, I live in coolidge corner and work at MIT, so I’d rest easy knowing you were close by either way :)

7. John 18 March, 2009 at 12:10 pm #

Coolidge Corner is awesome… I love that area.

8. Suzanne 12 June, 2012 at 6:31 am #

Yes! Tons of college students, tons of families with a tendency to healthy and diverse eating, well known for street life and foot traffic. Lots of people with a consciousness not only about food but about eating and buying local — just check out the local Elementary school lunch menu if you want proof! We live there, and would enjoy/support it!