Bad basil sandwiches

Did you get a bad basil sandwich from us this month? If so, we’re really sorry. This sandwich should be really, really awesome, and it hasn’t been. Couple issues we’ve had: 1.) the quality of the basil spread has varied a lot across locations. Some spread was really fibrous, some was sort of bland. The recipe wasn’t being followed correctly everywhere (bunch of people weren’t adding salt). 2.) A bunch of you were saying the sandwich wasn’t filling or satisfying enough.

So we’re making some changes to this. You should be able to see these changes today:

1.) Basil spread is going to be made every morning in the kitchen and sent to locations rather than being made on board each location. This means you won’t smell basil in the morning on the trucks, but it will let us keep an eye on the quality.

2.) We’re going to be adding mayo and adding another slice of havarti

3.) More salt on the cucumbers.

Let us know if you have this today if it’s improved. We’ll be taking note of these changes for next year when this sandwich comes around again. And for those of you asking, the rumor is true. There’s a new seasonal sandwich coming on soon.

10 Responses to Bad basil sandwiches

1. Emma 7 August, 2012 at 11:15 am #

I have always loved the basil sandwich. I did have the newer version yesterday and thought the mayonnaise detracted from the basil spread. Also, I appreciate the option for a lighter lunch.

2. Floyd 7 August, 2012 at 4:13 pm #

Thank goodness! I remember leaving and I honestly haven’t been back since because of this. I was worried it was a general trend of the store. I usually go into the one in Inman frequently as I live on Elm like 300 feet away, but this sandwich tasted like nothing. I would love to give it another try!

3. Nick 9 August, 2012 at 8:05 am #

Can you arrange to offer soy bacon with the breakfast sandwich in mornings?
    It would be a great option!
    Thx

4. Nick 9 August, 2012 at 8:07 am #

It would also be great to offer a breakfast BLT with an egg!

5. April 9 August, 2012 at 11:56 am #

I had a basil sandwich at Harvard Square on the 6th and it was disappointing. One measly slice of havarti was not enough. Glad to read that you guys are fixing the situation!

6. Cindy 13 August, 2012 at 10:28 am #

I agree about the mayo. I think the sandwich could have done without it.

7. lucia 20 August, 2012 at 10:31 am #

Interesting. We’ll keep this in mind for next year. Thanks for the note.

8. lucia 20 August, 2012 at 10:35 am #

Just emailed you.

9. lucia 20 August, 2012 at 11:31 am #

Have you tried the popover breakfast sandwich? So far this is only at HSQ. Tempeh, mayo, tomato, cheddar, fried leeks on a popover. It sounds like you might really like it.

10. Dana 10 September, 2012 at 2:26 pm #

That sounds delicious – please let me know if it ever makes it to HUB – that would be worth driving out of my way for!