Enzo, the sandwich. Now playing at CloverMIT

Enzo, The sandwich

Most of you who eat our food daily know Vincenzo.

Enzo was one of our first employees. He was a former student of Rolando’s working at the Four Seasons. He would help us with the truck here and there. I remember meeting him at Nuestra (now called Crop Circle Kitchen) at 4am, our regular routine at the time, showing him how to open the truck. The next day I had him open, and he had a list of improvements for me.

Enzo has always been conscientious, a hard worker, committed to what we’re trying to do with Clover, completely in love with food, and perhaps above all that a larger than life personality. You know when Enzo is coming. If you’ve met him you’ll never forget him. I know nobody who is anything like Enzo. I don’t expect I ever will. And we all love him to death.

Back in those early days Vincenzo brought me a salad he was really excited for me to try. Some of his family is from Calabria and this salad was based on a traditional salad their family enjoyed. The salad had potatoes, eggplant, and roasted peppers. It was familiar, but different from anything I’d had. The combination of textures and flavors was really vibrant but comforting at the same time. Like Enzo?

We’re going to get to have a lot of fun with wordplay because Enzo has translated his salad into a sandwich and we’re calling that sandwich the Enzo. It launched yesterday at CloverMIT. This Enzo has an Italian sweet pepper relish with a hint of spice, fried eggplant, provolone cheese, and fried potatoes. It’s totally different than anything we’ve done in the past.

If you try this at MIT let us know what you think. We’re in the development stage.

Whatever you do, don’t call this sandwich “The Vinny,” at least not to his face.

8 Responses to Enzo, the sandwich. Now playing at CloverMIT

1. Jake M. 30 January, 2013 at 1:22 pm #

I just had an Enzo right now! It is – bar none – the best sandwich you’ve ever had on special. Great mix of flavors, nice and hot still, even after I walked back to my office to eat it – and loved the pile of fries/potatoes hiding in there.

My only caveat is that everything is so hot, and becomes so drippy, that the bread starts to disintegrate, especially towards the bottom. I had to choose between eating it a lot faster than I usually eat, or giving in and getting a fork to finish it up. I chose the latter…. but I ate every last bite. Love it – will be back for more. Hope you keep it permanently.

2. Finn 30 January, 2013 at 3:33 pm #

You’re not kidding: this is really different than anything you’ve ever done. As soon as I heard that there was going to be an Enzo sandwich, I was all-in! I traveled over to MIT today to try it.

Based purely on deliciousness, this is probably the best sandwich I’ve ever had at Clover. The flavors are varied, intense, and all absolutely on-point. I’m not sure I’d want to see the nutritionals on it, but it’s absolutely delightful and absolutely Enzo in sandwich form. It’s so homey. It’s like eggplant parm…. in a sandwich… WITH FRENCH FRIES ON IT.

I actually caught myself laughing a little bit, for no apparent reason, while eating it — just as I do, invariably, in the presence of the man himself. Great job with the sandwich. I’ll be eating a bunch of these!

3. lucia 31 January, 2013 at 10:26 am #

Maybe it should return to Clover for special events…?

Thanks for trekking over to MIT and waiting in line for this one.

4. anne 6 February, 2013 at 2:03 pm #

I would give anything to teleport from Aspen to Boston and try the Enzo! Not only is he one of my favorite people on earth, but I think the sandwhich would be one of my favorite as well!

Way to do VAP!!

5. viola 16 February, 2013 at 12:49 am #

This sandwich has incredible flavor. One of the best ever. However, I wish Clover drained the eggplant before putting it in the pita. There were at least 2 spoonfuls of extraneous oil that dripped on my plate, face, clothes, etc.

I would still recommend this sandwich because it tastes so darn good. Seious flavor explosion! But grab a lot of napkins so you can blot — and eat fast before it falls apart.

6. Margaret 26 February, 2013 at 11:24 am #

This is an excellent sandwich. Mine (yesterday) did not drip oil and held together very nicely. Very tasty. I’m a little nervous about the nutrition numbers on a sandwich with french fries on it. I take comfort in the fact that it has not very many french fries.

I am not that big a fan of provolone cheese. Although the sandwich was really good, how about seeing if it is even better with cheddar? Most things cheese are ….

7. lucia 26 February, 2013 at 3:44 pm #

We’ve revolutionized the way we’re prepping eggplant, so it’s less oily. Glad it was a better experience for you.

Thanks so much for this!

8. Matt 7 March, 2013 at 4:05 pm #

This sandwich is amazing. Make it a regular and I guarantee I’ll become a regular.