Future Clover Brookline Village customers

photo

I spent the afternoon with an Exacto Knife, scraping off the Papaginos sign at 6 Harvard Street in Brookline Village. We’re going to have a restaurant there, have you heard? I’m working on a window sign announcing the restaurant as a CSA pickup point. I had to write backwards on the inside of the glass, and there’s no way I was free-handing it. So I wrote out my message and tried to tape it to the front of the glass so that I could trace it on the back.

It was ridiculously windy, and blue tape sucks. So I was struggling. Out of nowhere, a jogger named Ken came by. He jumped to help me stick one corner up. He’d never heard of Clover, just wanted to help. Then Jen walked by, saw the word Clover, and gasped. She used to eat with us at City Hall. She and her son offered to hold up one side while I grabbed more tape. Then when Jen had to leave, Dave appeared to help. He knows all the chefs in the area, and told me I had to check out Matt Murphy’s and Pomodoro. He said, “I think you’re going to do good business here.”

Wow, Brookline! And I wasn’t even selling anything yet! Some other highlights of my afternoon. Ate an unbelievable sandwich from Cutty’s, spuckie (apparently this is a New England thing). Saw an elderly man listening to a book on tape at full blast from his car. Charged my phone in Starbucks with a group of really adorable toddlers who wanted to play London Bridge with my phone charger. Met the woman who works in the Dunkin’ Donuts next door. Saw lots of dads walking their kids home from school. One of them said to his daughter, “Clover, we have to check that out!” Met the locksmith down the road…not explaining why.

15 Responses to Future Clover Brookline Village customers

1. Meg 24 April, 2013 at 6:46 am #

Spuckie is Boston slang for sub (from the Italian word spucadella which means sandwich roll) ;)

2. Dave 25 April, 2013 at 12:44 pm #

Welcome to the neighborhood!!! Good pick with Cutty’s. There’s such good eats in Brookline Village and we’re counting on you guys to raise the bar even higher.

FYI I just signed up for two CSA’s through you guys from the sign in your window (which you might want to check on – It fell down and can no longer be seen, which means I would have missed it if I hadn’t seen it this AM.)

Welcome again, we look forward to seeing you soon,

Dave

3. lucia 25 April, 2013 at 12:59 pm #

We’re so excited! Can’t wait to meet in person.

The sign had to be taken down temporarily. We didn’t realize this, but it qualifies as a temporary sign under Town of Brookline standards, and needs its own permit. I filed this morning, so hopefully it will be back up next week.

Had another amazing sandwich from Cutty’s today – broccoli rabb and tomato jam.

-Lucia

4. Dave 25 April, 2013 at 1:14 pm #

Well you got at least one customer while it was up. Cutty’s is amazing, but I encourage you to explore the Village a bit more – check out Koo Koo on Station Street – their “Terrifying Tuna” roll up and pomegranate iced tea are both killer.

5. Seth Kaplan 25 April, 2013 at 1:23 pm #

Very excited to have you coming to the neighborhood – I am going to lobby you to be open a little later than most stuff in Brookline Village – more in line with your other stores. Could be a little quiet some winter weekdays from 9 – 10 PM or beyond but once people know about you may tap into something great during the later hours.

6. lucia 29 April, 2013 at 8:52 am #

Good advice – I think we’ll definitely look into doing a 10pm close.

Can’t wait to meet you all!
    Lucia

7. lucia 29 April, 2013 at 8:53 am #

Awesome, will do.

8. Margaret 29 April, 2013 at 9:12 am #

Just walked by this morning and saw the “Clo” painted on the glass! Seeing that made my day, since I had no idea that you are opening one in Brookline village! I usually go to the Kendall truck for lunch but now I know I’ll be able to get your rosemary fries closer to home! I will definitely be there for dinners! How do I sign up for the CSA?

9. lucia 29 April, 2013 at 9:31 am #

Reminds me I need to finish the rest of the logo.

Check out http://www.cloverfoodlab.com/CSA

We can’t wait to be open!

10. Deborah 11 May, 2013 at 11:21 am #

I just signed us up for fruit (yea!) and flower (my mother’s day present to myself) CSAs! We saw the sign last night on our way home from dinner at Matt Murphy’s.

Here is my best suggestion: Good bread!

With all the great things we have in Brookine Village, it’s nearly impossible to get good bread. Brookline Fine Wine & Gourmet has a few loaves on the weekends, but it’s more a hit or miss type of thing. I have to go up to Trader Joe’s to get anything passable and up to Clear Flour Bakery (or even Iggy’s) to get the real deal. If you sold bread or (wild idea) had a bakery CSA we’d love, love that!

We really look forward to you guys opening!

11. lucia 11 May, 2013 at 12:08 pm #

That is an awesome idea. We’re definitely going to sell our pita bread (which will soon be house-made). But other bakeries’ bread could be really cool too.

Can’t wait to meet you when we open!

Lucia

12. Sandi 30 May, 2013 at 8:28 pm #

mmmm – can’t wait for you to be open and wondering where I pick up my csa next Saturday if you aren’t open by then.

And if you do bread, PLEASE check out HEARTH, the bakery in Plymouth – I’ve gotten their uber yummy bread at farmer’s markets, but can never find locally – would be awesome to have a source for that!

13. lucia 5 June, 2013 at 6:46 am #

Thanks! We can’t wait! Did you get my email about interim CSA sites yet? Saturday pickups are at Inner Space Yoga.

14. Virginia 18 June, 2013 at 10:00 am #

I walked pass your Brookline store the other day and was real excited when I saw your CLOVER sign. I work right next to Dewey Square downtown where the truck goes, but the Brookline location would be really great for after work meals. Welcome to the Village.

15. lucia 18 June, 2013 at 1:21 pm #

Thanks Virginia! We can’t wait to meet you in Brookline.