Smoke + sour cream
This chilled roasted tomato soup combines Chris’s two favorite things in the world: smoke and sour cream. He made this for our weekly Food Development Meeting. We loved it. Within a few days of serving it, everyone was asking for the recipe. Here it is:CHRIS’S CHILLED ROASTED TOMATO SOUP
(serves 36, if you want to make it at home you’ll need to cut down the proportions)
15 pounds plum tomatoes, cut in half lengthwise
2 tablespoons safflower oil (or other neutral oil)
1.5 cups caramelized onions (this is something we make every day, I know, it’s usually not in everyone’s fridge)
1 garlic clove, peeled
1.5 bunch cilantro, roughly chopped
2.5 tablespoons coriander seed, whole
7.5 quarts vegetable stock
2 teaspoons brown chipotle powder
4 cups half-and-half
1.5 red bell pepper
Red wine vinegar, salt, and sugar (to taste)
1 bunch cilantro
.5 cup sour cream
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Place tomatoes, cut side up, on a sheet pan lined with parchment paper. Drizzle with safflower oil. Roast for 40 minutes or until tops are caramelized.
3. Remove sheet pan from oven and allow tomatoes to cool completely. Steps 1-3 can be done ahead of time.
4. Work in batches, blending some of everything at a time. Add some of the tomatoes, caramelized onions, garlic, bell pepper, cilantro, chipotle powder and coriander to blender. Cover with veg stock and half-and-half. Blend until very smooth.
5. Season to taste with red wine vinegar, salt and sugar.
6. Separate cilantro leaves from stems.
7. Add a little bit of water to sour cream and whip until it is the consistency of yogurt.
8. Ladle soup into 10-oz cups to order. Sprinkle with 1-2 cilantro leaves. Drizzle with sour cream mixture.
Chris Anderson. Copyright 2013, Clover Fast Food