Happy 13th Birthday Clover!
Some Clover trivia:
- 24 September, 2008 my son Blue was born (this one doesn’t follow the pattern below, but my kids are my motivation for building a restaurant company with the mission of fighting global warming so it’s a pretty important one!!!)
- We served our first sandwich at MIT from our food truck October 29th, 2008. (I wasn’t sure we could make veggies dreamy for meat lovers)
- We opened our first restaurant at 7 Holyoke St., Harvard Square October 29th, 2010
- We opened our commissary in East Cambridge at 1075 Cambridge St. on October 29th, 2011 (are you sensing a theme?)
- October 29th, 2021 — We’re opening what might end up being our largest restaurant in terms of sales (it’s already our largest in terms of square feet) at the Prudential Center
I’m grinning. Those who know me know that I’m quick to think of how much larger and bigger and faster I want us to be. But holding those ambitions at bay is a deep satisfaction. I’m just so proud of the people I work with at Clover. From Brendan who is doing a beautiful job managing this restaurant, to Jasper who is doing whatever it takes to support this and other Clover restaurants, to Stacia who I can hear training somebody new right now, to Chris who was literally my first paid employee and is now our SVP of Food Systems. And so many more. I don’t want this to feel like an academy award speech. But I’m genuinely in awe of those I’m working with.
And that’s the difference between October 29th 2008 and October 29th 2021. I don’t feel alone. I know we’re still at the vanguard. Not everybody understands that we need to reduce meat consumption to stop global warming. Almost nobody is willing to accept that we should eat meat no more often than 2x/ month. Heck, some people don’t even understand what global warming means.
But many do. And we’re working on it. We haven’t fixed it yet. It’s a giant undertaking. But we’re putting our weight into fixing these problems and more and more our joining us.
Since you’re all a part of Clover feel free to celebrate along with us. Happy Birthday all!