Pepper Relish recipe
This relish is the spread for our extremely popular Enzo sandwich. Keep a jar in the fridge. Use it on cheese and crackers. Warm it up, and toss it with pasta. Or make your own version of the Enzo Sandwich!
4 red bell peppers
2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced finely
1 red onion
2 fresno chiles
1 bay leaf
4 tsp olive oil
1/2 tsp dried basil
1/2 tsp dried thyme
1/2 tsp dried marjoram
1/3 cup sugar
1/2 cup red wine vinegar
Salt, to taste
1. Cut bell peppers in half lengthwise through the stem. Remove the seeds and stem, and dice into 1-inch pieces.
2. Cut stem off Fresno chiles, and with the tip of your knife, scrape out the seeds. Cut peppers into 1-inch rings.
3. Peel onion, and dice into 1-inch pieces.
4. Add olive oil to a saucepan set over medium heat. Add fennel seed to oil, toasting for 2-3 minutes until fennel seeds are golden and smell fragrant.
5. Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until caramelized.
6. Add peppers, herbs, and remaining spices, and cook for 5 minutes still on medium heat.
7. Turn heat to low and cook for 20 more minutes.
8. Add salt to taste, plus sugar and vinegar. Cook for 20 minutes until peppers are soft and most of the liquid has been evaporated.
9. Working in batches, add relish to a food processor and pulse until your relish is spreadable, but still a bit chunky. Spoon into a glass jar.
10. Let cool for 1 hour, then refrigerate.