You might not know him yet, but this face is going to make a lot of you very happy. We’ve been bad about posting nutritional information. Sorry all, it’s not that we’re trying to hide anything. I think the first post about nutritionals was back in 2009 when we sent a few of our items to a lab for testing. The fact of the matter is that this is a massive job. We face an issue that most companies do not. Our recipes change.
Our recipes are not meant to be static, or ever marked as complete. We make improvements based on seasonality and feedback. We discover a better way to make falafel. We find a new source for vinegar, cheese, chickpeas. An employee notices that the cantaloupe is sweeter than usual this year and we dial back the amount of sugar in an agua fresca. These types of things have to be reflected in the recipe. We’ve been using Google Docs to house our recipes. Chris can edit. Every employee can view. But we need to get costing and nutritional information for each ingredient, and then pass them through calculations that can spit out accurate, current nutritional information.
We hired Josh 2 weeks ago. He has a degree in economics and he’s really passionate about food. And as you can see, he’s got a hair net on. That’s because he’s going to be spending much of his time in the kitchen completing nutritional information on all our items. He’ll be shadowing Chris as he makes a recipe, weighing every ingredient and entering them into the Google docs. In time he’ll also be working alongside Thadea to improve our cost structure through analysis of our purchasing. Welcome, Josh!