Pizza Friday is live. You can sign up. $35/ week and we deliver everything you need to make the best pizza you’ve ever had at your home.
I eat pizza everywhere and love it. When I was in college I made a game for myself where I wouldn’t walk by a pizza joint without buying a slice. Three pizza places in a row? 3 slices. I ate all of the pizza. I even dream about pizza sometimes.
The team at Clover started talking about pizza as soon as we launched Taco Tuesday.
What would pizza look like at Clover?
- Top of the list is an organic crust. We made the switch to organic flour only a few years ago at Clover for a bunch of reasons. At my house we don’t eat non-organic wheat. US wheat growers started spraying Roundup (Glyphosate-based herbicide) on wheat about a decade ago to ease harvest. Currently almost all non-organic US-grown wheat is treated this way. Organic wheat is not. But pizza places don’t make organic pies.
- Real dough. Most pizza places aren’t making dough anymore. It’s sad but true. Dough is coming from Sysco, US Foods, Performance Food Group. It’s not simple, and it’s not freshly made. We can get you the dough you deserve: wheat, water, salt, yeast, a bit of olive oil.
- Properly hydrated dough — this one is more esoteric, but since that dough is coming from big factories, it’s too dry. Big machines cannot handle proper hydration so dough manufacturers have moved to dry doughs. This means pizza dough feels more cardboard-y rather than that magical chewy AND crispy combo we’re seeking
- Proper fermentation — Richard Bourdon describes unfermented dough as “raw.” I didn’t understand that at first but now I do. Fermentation unlocks flavor and it also makes wheat more digestible and nutritious. Our ancestors knew this. The current US food system wants us to forget it.
- Local/ seasonal ingredients. Isn’t pizza the perfect vehicle to enjoy what farms are producing? I love the basic ingredients but couldn’t we be having more fun?
- Homemade is better. Why? More love = more delicious
Pizza is perfect for what we’re trying to do with the subscription boxes. It’s a blast to get your hands in the dough. We make it fast and easy enough that you might do something you wouldn’t have otherwise. It’s a beautifully familiar platform from which to explore flavors and ingredients. We can get you some of the best ingredients available, and we can save you money.