Are you wondering how our hard boiled eggs are so perfect? First, we get them from a reputable local supplier, and they are very fresh. Second, we cook them the way Rolando says to cook them:
- Place eggs at the bottom of a pot, just cover with water
- Bring to a boil on a high burner, watch carefully
- Immediately after reaching a boil, turn burner down and SIMMER the eggs (don’t boil) for 10 minutes
- After EXACTLY 10 minutes, put the eggs in an ICE BATH
- Let the eggs sit in the ice bath for 10 minutes, then peel
The last step is critical. The ice bath keeps your yolks from getting brown/green. If you look carefully Clover eggs always have bright yellow yolks, and this is why.
I’ll admit, eggs have always been a love/hate thing for me. I never liked them as a kid. And now that I know more about how they are produced, I’m always a bit hesitant. We’re determined to develop a relationship with a great local organic supplier. Right now we’ve got the local (and fresh) part of that equation, but haven’t found an organic egg yet that is as fresh as we need.